Tuesday, May 24, 2011

where my heart is.


i had an out-of-town work meeting this week. i won't lie. as i packed my suitcase, i thought about all the extra sleep i'd get at a hotel, and all the extra relaxing stuff i could do without interruptions. i packed magazines. and anticipated a long, hot shower. a night off with only myself to take care of and worry about.

and it turned out to be incredibly nice. my hotel was beautiful. the setting was beautiful. i had time to prepare for a big presentation in peace. i stayed up a little later, knowing i wouldn't be woken up until i wanted to be. i really liked it.

i mean REALLY liked it.

it helped knowing that caleb was in good (okay, better) hands with luke. and it helped knowing that it was just a quick trip.

the trip was fun, but it also helped reveal to me the obvious.

there is nowhere i'd rather be than with them. whether it's 4 a.m. or 5 p.m. whether we are tired and cranky or laughing until we can't breathe. it's always perfectly as it should be.

luke had texted me the above picture the morning of my presentation, and i found myself reaching for my phone without thinking and looking and this picture several times throughout my day. they really make me so happy.

when i was driving home on 1-5, just 30 mins before caleb should've been in bed, i sped a little and maneuvered through traffic and tried to get home so he could see me before he drifted off to sleep for the night. i was unsuccessful. but luke was holding him on the couch so i could at least see him. ah, that sweet little face made my entire day. and the fact that luke tried to keep him awake for me ... i loved that.

no matter what, it cannot be helped ... this is where my heart is.

2 comments: