Sunday, May 1, 2011

zayana grace.

A couple weeks ago, I got to meet an angel.

She was sixteen weeks old. A head full of dark hair, much like Caleb’s when he was that age, clipped back in a delicate bow. Her stuffed Peter Rabbit toy rested in her arm. Perfect eyebrows. Softest skin. The most precious face you could imagine.

I could have looked at her for hours.

It was hard to believe we were in a hospital room. Hard to believe that we, along with several others, were there to say our good-byes to her. Because there were plenty of smiles in that room. There were happy stories and videos being shared of a miraculous life. There were two parents who not only graciously let us be there, but who encouraged us and reassured us and reminded us of God’s plan.

Let me tell you about her parents. They have been through more in the past year than many will ever go through in the lifetime. They were given hard news that their unborn daughter’s life would be full of challenges. They were faced with many uncertainties … many terrifying possibilities. But they stayed strong. They stayed hopeful. Their faith seemed to increase with each passing day, and it extended to everyone around them.

And when Baby Z was born in all of her beauty, the doctors didn't give her much time ... hours, maybe days. But they were thankful for any second they got to spend with her.

But she fought. She fought like crazy. And she defied so many odds.

Baby Z’s sixteen weeks of life were BIG. Huge, in fact. She brought out the very best in her parents. She inspired people and brought them to their knees. She proved that miracles happen and prayers matter. She made an undeniable impact and will forever leave her mark on this world and in people’s hearts.

At her memorial, her parents sang along with a crowd full of people:

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.


Wow.

And we remembered this:

Psalms 139:13

For you created my inmost being;

you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

your works are wonderful,

I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you

when I was made in the secret place.

When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

your eyes saw my unformed body.

All the days ordained for me

were written in your book

before one of them came to be.


And we saw pictures of the most beautiful girl through this song, and this and this.

That last song and those lyrics will forever take on a new meaning for me:

"When I see your face, there's not a thing that I would change
Cause girl you're amazing just the way you are.
And when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for awhile.
Cause girl you're amazing just the way you are."


She was perfect in every single way. I know. I saw it. The face of an angel, and she took my breath away. And now she's in the arms of Jesus.

Thank you, Ernesto and Christina for sharing her with us. We have her in our hearts and she'll be there forever.

Follow Zayana's amazing legacy here.

3 comments:

  1. Crying. What a lovely post and amazing family. Praying for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sweet, Nishk. So sad, yet so encouraging about their faith. Praying for their family. Glory to God!

    ReplyDelete